Pentagon set to ask Congress for $6 billion in additional funds
Defense Department officials hope the White House approves submitting the proposal to Congress shortly after the Nov. 8 election, McCord said, “hopefully in time to inform an omnibus funding bill” to succeed a stopgap spending measure set to expire in early December. Some conservative lawmakers are lobbying for extending stopgap funding into next year.
“We feel like we are locked and loaded as to what’s in” the proposed $6 billion request, McCord said. As much as $3 billion will be sought to retain as many as 8,400 troops in Afghanistan through next year instead of reducing levels to 5,500 as was planned previously. About 9,800 U.S. troops are in Afghanistan now. – READ MORE