Authorities said the suspect in Tuesday’s terror attack in Lower Manhattan that left eight people dead had been planning the attack for a “number of weeks” and did it “in the name of ISIS.”
Speaking at a news conference Wednesday, Police Commissioner James O’Neill called it “the worst terror attack in New York City since Sept 11, 2001.”
“What happened yesterday was not OK,” O’Neill said. “It will never be something any of us will just accept as inevitable.”
NYPD Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence and Counterterrorism John Miller said the suspect, 29-year-old Sayfullo Saipov, left handwritten notes in his rented Home Depot pickup.
He said they were written in Arabic and the gist “was that the Islamic State would endure forever.”[contentcards url=”http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/11/01/lower-manhattan-terror-attack-investigation/” target=”_blank”]