The over 9 million citizens of Hangzhou, China, have been under constant surveillance by artificial intelligence since October 2016.
The Orwellian “City Brain” allegedly seeks to make life in Hangzhou easier by trackingtraffic, crime, commutes, purchases, interactions, general movements, and more. Residents were tracked both generally and specifically, with City Brain even plugged into local social media. It even uses their cell phones.
A year later, rush hour traffic is down. So are crime and car accidents. City Brain notifies authorities if a car is illegally parked and makes tracking criminals almost trivial. It adjusts traffic light patterns to reduce congestion in the streets and will contact individual commuters to offer detours and weather advisories.
- China speeds ahead of U.S. as quantum race escalates, worrying scientists
- China’s Secret Military Plan: Invade Taiwan by 2020
- Chinese Vessels Keeping Close Eye on U.S. Ships in South China Sea
- China’s ‘Magic Weapons’: Influence Operations Subverting Foreign Governments
- China Still Bringing In Boatloads Of North Korean Coal Despite Ban