Visa security loophole exploited by 9/11 attackers still open 15 years later
At least five of the Sept. 11 hijackers exploited a glaring hole in visa security to stay in the U.S. beyond their time — allowing them to board the planes and conduct their murderous attack. Fifteen years later, and despite a clear consensus on the need for improvement, that gaping hole remains.
“In too many cases that’s still happening — they come in legally, but we don’t know if they’ve left, and if they haven’t left, we don’t know where they are,” said Tom Kean, former governor of New Jersey and chairman of the 9/11 Commission that looked into the 2001 attack and crafted a long list of changes to put homeland security on firmer footing.
“That is probably the most important unfulfilled recommendation,” Mr. Kean told reporters this week ahead of the commemoration of the attack that ushered in the current war-on-terrorism era.
It’s also a key part of GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump’s immigration plan going forward.
“For years Congress has required biometric entry-exit visa tracking systems, but it has never been completed. The politicians are all talk, no action — never happens,” he last week in laying out his plans. “Hillary Clinton, all talk. Unfortunately, when there is action, it’s always the wrong decision. You ever notice? In my administration we will ensure that this system is in place. And, I will tell you, it will be on land, it will be on sea, it will be in air. We will have a proper tracking system.” – READ MORE